We kept them in our garage, and finally decided that we should either redo them, or give them away. To be honest, I didn’t see the potential, but hey, that’s why I married my husband! He was determined to fix them up (I can’t wait to show you what we did with the other dresser… but that one will be saved for a later date!)
Now that you’ve seen it in the “Oh yeah, I should take a before photo” stage, aren’t you in love? Yeah, me neither. I had already stripped some of the old molding off of the sides. Remember when I asked you all for advice on what I should do with it, here and here?
Well, as you know, we went with Option Number 2!
The main thing I hated about this dresser was the drawers. Some were straight, and the top one had a strange curve. I wanted a clean and straight modern look. I took all the curvy molding off of the dresser, and we replaced the side ones with a straight pine board.
Silas took the tops off of the drawers. I tried to see if I could (don’t laugh) sand them so that they would all be flat (haha… fail!) but I’m so glad we ended up just taking them all off, and putting rustic pallets on the fronts. Honestly, this was a completely “go with the flow” project, and we just made it up as we went.
Silas screwed in 2×2″ boards to the sides of the fronts of the drawers, and we attached the pallet drawers by screwing them onto those boards.
Here is the dresser with just one board to go.
Lastly, we chose not to fill in the old nail holes. Personally, I love how rustic it looks. However, we sanded down the whole dresser including the insides of the drawers, and lightly sanded the pallet fronts. Lastly, we painted the dresser white, and added hardware from Lowes.
Our little princess loves her new furniture.
It’s the perfect look for her new room (see the full reveal HERE)
One last before and after:
I’ll end this post saying this: I love free pallets!